Summer Blouse

Pattern: Simplicity It's so Easy #3842 (view B) Size 8

Fabric: Sofia Cotton Lawn by Robert Kaufman 1.5 yds (pattern calls for 1.75 yds) plus .25 yd of white cotton from JoAnn Fabrics

Techniques: Basic sewing, gathers, rolled hems, bias tape facing

Modifications: Used contrasting fabric for front insert and added lace trim. Cut ties on the grain rather than on the bias and folded in half twice rather then sewing a tube.

Comments: I love the fit of this and the pattern was relatively easy, but required careful attention to detail. The armholes are a bit too peek-a-boo for my taste, so I will be sewing them up a little more. Diagrams for view B in the pattern instructions do not match the actual sleeve length, which caused me to take a second look at the pattern pieces. The next time I make this top, I may omit the insert, opting to wear a cami under it instead. Because of the sleeve construction, this pattern works best with light weight fabric with good drape. A heavier fabric would result in "wings".

No comments: